Saturday, June 29, 2013

Email: December 3, 2012


Dear Family,

This week was actually really difficult.  I don't even know what to say about it.  We did everything we could and appointment after appointment fell through and a lot of our investigators seem to be going backwards instead of progressing.  I don't know what we are doing wrong.  It is so hard because I really do care about these people and want them to receive the blessings that they can but they aren't putting the effort in to get it.  So it has been a reflecting week for me, a lot of prayer and making sure I am being obedient and asking myself what can I do more?  I still am working on that but I know that there has to be something more we can do to make sure that we don't have a week like this again.  

We were able to find pick up 2 new investigators even through all the trials.  We did not have our district meeting this week because Wednesday we had Specialized Training with president and the assistants.  So we were doing our normal morning schedule and we got a text with a referral from mormon.org.  There is a husband and wife that were being taught a few years ago and they didn't end up getting baptized for "personal reasons" it said, but she wanted us to come and help them come back.  We were and are stoked about it.  We went and tried their house right at ten when we left in the morning  and weren't able to catch them home so we called and talked to Michell who was excited to hear from us and we have a lesson set up for tuesday evening.  I will let you know how that goes.  

So specialized training was awesome, they actually invited a lot of the youth in our stake that are preparing to go on missions in the next little while.  We have a kid in our ward who has his call already and he came and loved it!  We took him out with us the next day and he was super excited about the whole thing.  He is going to the Oklahoma, Tulsa mission and leaves in February.  The big thing that we talked about was using the book of mormon more in the way that we talk with people on the streets and when we are at the door.  We talked about making sure we know the stories and we start sharing those with people to get them interested in the book before we tell them what it even is.  It has helped because we get so many people who have no idea what the book of mormon is but just because of the name and what their preachers have told them about it they want nothing to do with it.  Its ridiculous.  We also talked a lot about using the christmas time to our advantage and having members invite people into their homes to hear a message about christ.  We are pretty excited and hope that it will help boost the work here in the Takena ward.  The christmas devotional was really good, I like how president uchtdorf talked about being able to receive a gift instead of always just wanting to give even more back because of it.  I am not always the best at that but I am going to work on being better at it.  

It has been raining like crazy here.  It doesn't seem to want to stop.  Transfers are coming up next Monday also and there is a good chance that I will be transferred.  I REALLY don't want to, mainly because it isn't going to be fun spending Christmas in somewhere new where I don't know anyone.  But I will let you know as soon as I can.  I need to finish up what I am doing for everyone and then I have a package that I am sending home so be watching for it.  And last of all before I go, I read a scripture about a week ago that has stuck with me.  It is in first Nephi chapter 21:15 and 16.  You should all read it.  It talks about how our Savior Jesus Christ will never forget or forsake us.  He has graven us upon his palms.  I know this is true without a doubt in my heart and I love my savior and am grateful for his sacrifice for me.  I love you all!



Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment