Thursday, June 10, 2010

Email....June 7, 2010

Hello Family!

This has been one crazy week. Tuesday was tons of driving and flying and driving some more. I didn't really have time to do anything that day I just had to go with the flow. It was very rushed. The assistants to the president and the President picked us up at the airport at like 12:30. Then we went to their house and ate some lunch and took some pictures. Then we went to the mission office and got some information, signed somethings and had a quick interview with the president. Then we waited around for a while until everyone showed up for transfers. Then we all headed our separate ways. I am in a town called Coquille (coke-eel). It is the smallest town I have every been in. It is like 15 miles away from the coast and down not to far from California. My trainers name is Elder Nelson. He is a good missionary. He was originally sent to Mongolia and was there for a year, then they started having problems with visas so all the missionaries there had to leave. He has been in this area for three months. He leaves to go home in October. I am learning a lot from him. Finding here in Coquille is really hard because it is such a small town and everyone has either talked to the missionaries in the past few months or knows who we are and wants nothing to do with us. The members here are great though. They all love the missionaries so much and would do pretty much anything for us.

Our Area covers two other towns as well that are a ways away. One is called Myrtle Point and the other Powers. We don't go out to powers very often at all because it only has like 100 people in it and I guess they really don't like us there so its not the safest place. We went out to Myrtle Point yesterday though and visited with an investigator and some members. It is about the same size as Coquille. We have three investigators right now, there's Kyle Nickelson, Andrea Hollcroft and Linda Koop. They all seem like its not going anywhere very fast, except for maybe Linda. She is about 65 and was raised catholic. She is pretty receptive and we are giving her a chapel tour on Wednesday so we'll see how that goes. It is hard to stay optimistic because every time we have gone out and knocked doors we have not found anyone. No one wants to talk to us. But I am doing all I can to not let that get me down. We focus a lot on recent converts and less active members. I am getting used to being here, it is a very impoverish town so its very different and hard to see. I am so grateful for you mom and dad and all the things that you have given me over the course of my life. The area reminds me a lot of the mountains where terry and mike live. Its very foresty (I don't even know if thats a word ha ha). It is very green. There has only been two days that I have been here that it hasn't been raining. I know I said that I liked the rain but it's going to get old really fast.

I did need a bike but one of the members gave me one. I stood up in priesthood on Sunday and asked if anyone had a bike that I could purchase from them and brother Elmer came up to me after and said that he had a bike I could have. It was a big blessing because I really didn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a bike. Looks like dads party was pretty fun, wish I could have been there. But Happy Birthday and Fathers day Dad. I'm sorry I forgot to tell you that on the phone when I called on your birthday. I totally meant to but I got caught up talking about other things. Its a bit overwhelming to think that I haven't even been out a month yet. It feels like the last few weeks have taken ages to go by. I'm trying to lose myself in the work but I find myself thinking about home all the time. I got a letter from Maggie on Saturday so thank you for that Maggs. My new address is 1161 N Grape St (downstairs) Coquille OR 97423. So you can send letters directly to that. I am going to send my SD card today with pictures of everything so far. Well I love you all very much and miss you lots.

Love Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment