Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Email: February 27, 2012

Dear Family,

How is everyone doing? It has been getting colder here in Roseburg the
last few days. It was really sunny one day and then it will get
really cold and rainy the next. The sun has been coming out but it
doesn't warm it up very much anymore. We live at the top of this
pretty big hill so going down in the mornings, especially on Sunday
when we go early for meeting, is freezing! It definitely wakes us up
in the mornings. I am getting pretty good on a bike though. I have
been teaching myself to balance while I'm stopped so that I don't have
to get off when we are at stop lights or crossing streets. And I am
getting pretty good at doing wheelies ha ha. We had a good week and
met some interesting people. We have been trying to go up north more
often because that area hasn't been tracted much. We went up on
Wednesday, I think it was, and we found an awesome guy. His name is
Gents Gamelguard. Kind of interesting but he had talked to
missionaries over in Coos-bay before so he kind of knew a little about
the Church already. We talked about the Book of Mormon and he said
that he had been researching and that it totally fit in with what he
already had found out about the people here in the Americas. Only
down side is that he has two wives..... He understands that the
Church doesn't practice pologamy anymore but he is super interested in
reading and learning more so we will do our best to fix that and help
him progress. Kind of a crazy experience though. We had the
Priestly's drop us this week because they felt like the Bible is very
firm on saying that we aren't to add anything to it and that we
shouldn't believe when we see angels because they could be from Satan.
We tried to explain that it was talking about adding to the doctrines
already taught but they just wouldn't see it. It's very sad to see
when people let the influence of the adversary into their hearts. We
were pretty bummed about that.
I had a cool experience with prayer though this weekend. I said a
prayer Saturday night and the only thing that I asked for was the
spirit to be poured out upon those we wanted to see at Church so that
they would have the desire to be there and they would come. I had a
few people in mind but the lord had someone else in mind. None of the
people that I was thinking about came but one that we had talked to in
the past came with his son. His name is Tim Divine and he is a member
but hasn't been since he was like 12. We have gone over and talked
with him and his family a few times before and invited them to Church.
Its been a few weeks so we kind of lost hope with him because he hadn't
come yet but he brought his son with him and was there!! His wife is
not a member and he has two kids that are baptism age. It was a
miracle and an answer to my prayer in a way that I did not expect. It
showed me that the Lord is truly in control and I just need to open my
eyes to prayers being answered all the time. I love you all very
much. Thank you for all being supportive and for the letters and
emails that I get. It helps me keep going when I am discouraged. Have
a great week, and Matthew don't get knocked out again.....

Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment