Monday, December 5, 2011

Email: December 5, 2011

Dearest Family,

How are thou? It sounds like everyone is doing pretty well. Getting cold there? The weather has been pretty dang nice here the past few days. The sun has been shining and it has been up in the 50's. We spent a lot of Saturday doing some service for some people and it was to warm outside to even wear a jacket it was crazy.
So this week was pretty crazy also. We had transfers and Elder Snyder was made District Leader and so now it is just us here in Prineville. 2nd ward didn't have too many investigators so we didn't have a huge amount of people to go see but we are going to be a lot more busy with both wards which I am very happy about. I hate wasting time. Elder Snyder had to go to Eugene for a Zone/District leader training on Friday so I spent the day with an Elder in Bend. His name is Elder Lechtenberg and he is actually from Lehi also and we know a lot of the same people. It was pretty funny. It was very nice to get a break from my companion and go and do some good work with him. They had a baptism coming up on Saturday so we spent the day visiting all of their investigators and inviting them to the baptism which went really well. They have so many more than we do it was a bit discouraging, but it says in Preach My Gospel not to compare yourself to other missionaries so I tried really hard not to do so.
We also had the creche this weekend which was awesome. I don't know if I told you about that but our ward and the other ward and a bunch of people from the community got together and filled our building up with nativity scenes and had an open house with musical performances from a lot of different people in the town. We had a few from other church's and then the choir from the school that a few of the youth in the ward are in and then one of the families in the ward who is extremely musically talented. It was amazing. There were a lot of people there and we were able to talk to a lot of them. One of the friends of Sister Moss who organized the whole thing came to church on Sunday and actually felt the spirit so strongly that she got up and bore her testimony. We didn't get to hear it unfortunately because we were in the other wards ward council meeting. But someone texted us and told us about it and so we went and saw them later that night and it turns out she doesn't live in town! It was kind of a let down but it was very good for her and we are going to get some other missionaries down in LaPine to go and visit them which will be good.
Other than that not really anything happened this week. It was very slow. I am going to try some new things that I set goals for and I am going to Make this week be better whether it wants to or not. I know from things that have been promised to me that I am expected to be a leader and I am going to do my best to step up and do it. I had the movie Forever Strong on my mind a lot this week and how the coach does things, and he actually has a mormon.org profile and video that I would highly recommend watching. He is the mission president in Fresno actually. I learned that from Grandma, but his name is Larry Gelwix. He says in the movie that he wants his players to be forever strong on the field so they can be forever strong off it. I think it compares greatly to being in the mission field and I have taken that to heart. I have so many things about myself that I still need to change and I am working on them now so that I will be different still when I come home and not go back to the way things were. Kia Kaha - Forever Strong. I love you all very much and hope to hear from you soon.

Love,
Elder Erickson

No comments:

Post a Comment